Monday, December 31, 2018

My #OneWord2019 Diligence


Diligence
     noun
1.  constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body or mind.
2.  the degree of care and caution required by the circumstances of a person.
3.  care; caution.
(https://www.dictionary.com/browse/diligence)

This will be my third year to choose #OneWord to guide or direct my year.  REACH was my #OneWord2017 and it exemplified a year of reaching beyond my comfort zone to where real learning occurs.

This past year I chose RELATIONSHIPS which was perfect for 2018 considering I developed some pretty impactful relationships through the #4OCFpln .  Through these relationships in this group I have read many books and my Wishlist on Amazon has grown immeasurably.  The number of blog posts I have written and shared has more than doubled.  I have participated in and moderated more Twitter chats.  Sharing my learning through professional development training has become my norm even to the extent of sharing outside my district.

In and amongst #allthethings that I have done this past year, I have realized that I have focused on quantity and not quality.  So this year I have chosen Diligence as my #OneWord2019.  Constant and earnest effort should be applied to almost everything that I do.

     Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.  Ecclesiastes 9:10a

Persistent exertion of body or mind are embodied in the words  "with all your might".  I know to be truly diligent in whatever I do, I will need to prioritize and even say no to some things.

     Watch over your heart with all diligence for from it flow the springs of life.  
     Proverbs 4:23

Saying no to some things will cause FOMO (fear of missing out), but in the end I will have more time to give to the tasks to which I have said yes. I will have the satisfaction of being more effective with my time.

     Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, 
     making the most of your time,   Ephesians 5:15-16a

Using my time wisely will enable me to (hopefully) better balance home, health, school, and church.  A good balance will help me work on my relationships with others.

     Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need 
     to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15

Diligence will help me stand unashamed not only before God, but my family, friends, coworkers, students, and myself.  The care and caution I will give to each task should impact many in my circle of influence.

     Few things are impossible to diligence and skill.  Great works are performed 
     not by strength, but perseverance.  ~ Samuel Johnson

Recognition for great works is not my goal in being diligent this year.
My goals are to:

  • be selective in the tasks I choose
  • give constant and earnest effort
  • make the most of my time
  • produce effective results
  • be a positive influence on others

I can't wait to see what can be accomplished through Diligence this year!

What's your #OneWord?

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly, I loved how your #oneword is rich in thinking, meaning, purpose and goal. Your diligence is already showing. :)

    ReplyDelete