Monday, January 1, 2018

My #OneWord2018

One year ago today is when my blogging journey began when I posted about my first #oneword. Was I prolific?  Not by any means.  I journaled some to get my thoughts down, but few things made it to post.  Was I a failure?  No.  I grew.  I spent more time reflecting on my classroom and teaching than I had in a long time.

My #OneWord2017 was REACH, and that was what I did.  

I reached for reflection as I sought to become a better teacher.

I reached out to expand my PLN in order to learn from them.

I reached beyond my comfort zone and sought new learning through books, #edcamps, Voxer, and online training.

I continued reaching beyond my comfort zone to share my learning with others by facilitating my first session in an #edcamp, as well as offering after school training on #Flipgrid, Twitter, and Twitter Chats.

I would love to say that the teachers that sat in my training became as passionate as I am, but that was not evident.  I was reminded of something that I learned during my teacher training as I finished reading The Innovator's Mindset.  I love the way that George Couros put it:

     "If we want meaningful change, we have to make a connection to the 
     heart before we can make a connection to the mind."

I would love to be part of the spark that starts a meaningful change, not only in my students' lives, but my colleagues, as well.  

I am going to focus on that connection to the heart this year.  My #OneWord2018 is #Relationships.

God's Word teaches us about our relationship with God and others in Matthew 22:37-39.

     "And He said to him, "You shall love the LORD your God with all your
     heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
     This is the great and foremost commandment.
     The second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Building relationships through love is the key.  My relationships with God, my family, my church, my friends, my PLN, and my students.

#Relationships is my #OneWord2018. What is your #oneword?

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment