Saturday, December 31, 2022

Action Creates Change



I am glad I have moved away from New Year's resolutions.  I was never successful at staying committed to my goals even when I wrote them down. If I had been more strategic in breaking my goals down into measurable steps and set up an accountability system, I might have seen more success.  Committing to choosing a #oneword for the last six years has been much more helpful to me as I focus on one word that guides my thoughts and decisions for the year.

My #oneword2022 , ACT , was not only about commitment, but more importantly following through with my commitments. I wanted my actions to speak for what I believe, for my goals, and for who I am.  

How well did my actions speak for my goals, my beliefs, and myself this year?
  • I met my 2022 Reading Goal of 40 books that I set on Goodreads.
  • I attended #TCEA22 on my own dime since it was close by this year.
  • I attended #TCCA22 and introduced my daughter-in-law to her first educational conference.
  • I set and tracked five daily goals consistently beginning June 1st through to the end of this year.
  • I successfully met my five daily goals of Bible reading, two minute plank, Procreate quote creation, walking, and writing.
  • I presented two different after-school technology PD sessions for teachers to attend voluntarily.
What did not go as well as I had hoped?
  • I began reading several professional PD books and stalled out.
  • I did not blog as much as I would have liked.
  • I did not control my blood sugar as well as I had hoped.
  • I did not spend as much time with my husband as I needed.
I feel that because my #oneword was ACT, I was empowered to set those daily, personal goals for myself in June. Because I had committed to action, I was motivated to track and meet those goals on a daily basis, even if it meant staying up late to get it done. I changed my routines in order to be successful in meeting those goals. 

My #oneword inspired me, reminded me to take action which in turn helped me to create change in my habits and myself. Simon Sinek said it well when he said, "Words may inspire but only action creates change."

No comments:

Post a Comment