Thursday, February 28, 2019

Sharing the Learning!


Love Isn't Love Until You Give It Away...

Would the same apply to Learning?  Learning isn't Learning until you give it away?

I recently had the opportunity to attend the TCEA Conference (Texas Computer Education Association) in San Antonio for the first time.  Let me state....I am NOT a computer/technology teacher.  When my principal asked me if I was interested in attending, my first question was, "why me?"  "Is the computer teacher not able to go?"  My principal explained that they want different people each year to have an opportunity to go.  She continued by saying, "I know that you will bring back what you learn and share with others."  I was honored that she saw this in me, so of course my answer was, "YES!!"

Five of us had an opportunity to get to know each other better over the course of four days as we drove to San Antonio and shared rooms in a hotel on the Riverwalk.  Three teachers and two technology directors each with a different perspective of learning and technology.  I felt like a parched and thirsty person trying to drink from a swift moving river.  I drank in as much as I could and let the rest wash over me as I enjoyed the atmosphere.

I also took advantage of the opportunity to meet up with some of my #4OCFpln whom I have never met in person!  A few of us met up one morning for breakfast and fellowship.  Later that evening, a larger group of us met up for dinner on the Riverwalk.  We did not feel like strangers at all!  It was just a continuation of the conversations we have everyday on Voxer!


I was thankful for the opportunity to attend such a rich learning experience and couldn't wait to share my learning with others!  A coworker and I put together a Wakelet of presentations and notes that we collected from the sessions which we had attended, and set a date to share what we had experienced.  We offered a voluntary, after school PD session that teachers could sign up for if they were interested.  Technology Tidbits from TCEA was the title and a tasting was what we offered.  We briefly touched on some of the tools we had learned about and asked for feedback on what they would like to learn more about.  We had seventeen people that chose to stay for an hour after school to hear what we were excited to share.

The night before, I spent time reviewing the tools I would be speaking about.  I know from experience that one way to cement student learning is to have them teach what they have learned to others!  Being able to share my learning with others would not only benefit them, but me, as well.  It also brought back a little bit of the excitement I felt when attending those sessions in TCEA.

I feel that I get more out of new learning when I share my learning with others.  So, to me.....

Learning isn't learning until you give it away.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post Kimberly and I am so thankful to have been able to meet you in person and spend some time seeing everyone, looking forward to more learning and growing together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know that you will bring back what you learn and share with others." That shows so much about the learner you are! And SEVENTEEN people stayed?? That shows how much they respect your learning. So very awesome, Kimberly! Thank you for sharing and for inspiring others to share!

    ReplyDelete