Monday, April 29, 2019

Accepting a compliment

Have you ever refused a gift? Something that is given freely to honor you?

That is exactly what you are doing when you deflect or dismiss a compliment directed towards you. 

I grew up watching my mother work outside the home, sew clothes for her daughters (as well as friends and family on the side), teach Sunday School, and cook.  Whatever she did, she did well! Except for accepting compliments.  It was not uncommon for her to receive compliments on her cooking, sewing, and her teaching.  It was just as likely for her to deflect or dismiss the compliments given to her as though they weren't deserved.  I was delighted that others saw what a talented mother that I had, but frustrated that she didn't see herself that way.

Recently I have found myself doing the exact same thing my mother did when she received compliments.  Dismissing the value placed on my acts, deflecting the honor given to me as a gift.  Even though it is something that I am learning that I struggle with, I feel that accepting a compliment gracefully is something we all need to know how to do.  It honors both the giver and and the gift.

It has been said "It is better to give than receive," but I feel like everyone is on the receiving end when a something is given, especially when the gift given is a compliment.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder... could it be due to cultural or gender "norms" that accepting a compliment is difficult? Sounds like you learned it from your mom's model. I'll be on the lookout for how people accept compliments from now on so I can learn how, as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete