Friday, May 31, 2019

Falling in Love with Books

"Mrs. Isham! I just fell in love with one of your books!"  Nothing sounds sweeter to a Reading Teacher's ears!


I would love more than anything to create the perfect parameters to repeat that scenario over and over again on a daily basis.  What was present in this instance that was the catalyst that brought about this type of reaction in my student?

Lots of books. A wide variety of genres, authors, and reading levels.

Free choice.  Students allowed to self-select the books they wanted to read.

Time to read.  Time during school for students to get lost in a book.

Model reader.  A teacher that models an active reading life.  This year, as I have every year, I read aloud to my students.  When students are reading in my class, I am also reading.  I have also started posting the covers of the books I am currently reading outside my classroom door. 


When I finish a book, the cover is moved to the cabinet door inside my classroom, which is a running list of books that I have read this year.  I have also posted a reading goal of how many books I want to read this year.


I will continue to provide my students with large library of books, free book choice, time to read, and a model reader in myself.

My goal for my students is for them to become life-long readers.  What better way to do that than to fall in love with books? 

3 comments:

  1. I do the same things in class! Students come in as, and I quote, "not readers" and then later ask for "more time!" How much do you think you spend on books for the classroom???
    spedteachlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, for sure! (And Jane Yolen? I LOVE her books!) Thinking of Mrs. Lee's comment above, if you DO spend a lot on books (it's my favorite way to spend), consider subscribing to booksalefinder.com - they email maybe twice a month with used book sales near you. I'm filled with hope from this post, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've hit the magical trifecta when it comes to getting students to love reading lots of books, choice and time to read. So glad you shared your success. I love sharing book cover photos as a way to spark interest!

    ReplyDelete