Thursday, January 2, 2020

My #OneWord2020 THINK



think 
vt. 1. to form or have in the mind 
     2. to judge; consider 
     3. to believe; surmise; expect
     4. to determine, work out, etc. by reasoning 
     5. to intend
vi. 1. to use the mind; reflect or reason 
     2. to have an opinion, belief, judgment, etc.
     3. to remember 
     4. to consider or be considerate 
     5. to invent; conceive of
synonyms (not used above) muse, ponder, contemplate, deliberate, resolve, meditate, imagine
                    ~ Webster's New World Dictionary, Second Concise Edition


This time of year is traditionally a time to Think.  To reflect on the year that is coming to a close; what went well, and what did not.   To consider all the dreams, experiences, and possibilities the new year will hold.  The New Year holds joy for me because, just like every Monday, it is a fresh start!  The start of a week, a month, a new school year, or a new calendar year, all are fresh starts!  Everyone can benefit from a fresh start!

I have chosen a #OneWord for the last three years. 
When I chose the word THINK for my #OneWord2020, the first thing that came to mind was the acronym that educators and students alike probably see around their schools on a daily basis:

Before you Speak: THINK.
Is it True?
Is it Helpful?
Is it Inspiring?
Is it Necessary?
Is it Kind?

James 1:19b "...But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."

If we are taking the time to THINK before we speak, then we will be slower to respond!  We need to consider our words carefully and the impact they will make once they have been spoken.  Just like toothpaste cannot be put back when it has been squeezed from the tube, our words cannot be retrieved once they have left our lips.

Philippians 4:8  "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

When my boys were younger, I tried to frequently remind them that what they filled their minds with would show up in their words and actions.  Whether it was TV shows they watched, books they read, games they played, or friends they surrounded themselves with, my simple reminder to them was "garbage in, garbage out".

"Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny."  ~Lao Tzu

Keeping in mind the definitions and the quotes above, I want to spend more time thinking this year.

          * to reflect on my experiences and learning in order to grow.
          * to determine what course of action would benefit others.
          * to imagine the possibilities for my students. The What If....
          * to consider my words and actions Before I speak or act. To consider others.
          * to believe in myself, my family, my students, my colleagues.
          * to intend to make this a great year for me, my family, my students, my colleagues.

I would love to hear your thoughts on your #OneWord2020! When we share our thoughts, we are Better Together!

1 comment:

  1. I love you related all of this to thinking and really reflected on what the word "think" means. So many meanings, yet we don't often taking the time to consider that.

    ReplyDelete